The Next Move

Now that we have made it to Adelaide and have been staying here for about a year and a half, guess what happens? We took a drive down to Melbourne because we had our flights booked to Malaysia and our newborn, Elrica, did not have a passport yet. Adelaide did not have a high commission who could do both her Malaysian Birth Certificate and Malaysian Passport, so we had to drive down to Melbourne. What supposed to be an 8 hour journey was more like 12 hours because we made stops along the way to feed her and all.

It was Debbie's birthday, so we went over to her house from Ebbie's house which was just like 4 doors away from hers. But we drove down anyway because it was cold and we had a newborn baby with us. Elisha drove us down and realized that we needed the key which we left in the house, so he dropped grandma and the baby, and Eleora. I stayed back with him in the car back to the house.

On that short trip back to the house, I noticed a real estate agent keeping a notice outside the house which read, "Open for Inspection", so I took note. When we finally got back to Debbie's, we had lunch and a little chit chat. That was when I made mention of the house that was open for inspection just between Ebbie's and Debbie's. They all knew that I wasn't for going to Melbourne at all – and how determined I was to remain in Adelaide, so without a second thought, Debbie told us that that house was not suitable for her family.

Surprisingly, I told them that I was interested in it. So Ebbie remarked that we weren't interested in moving to Melbourne but I told her that if Elisha could get a job here, we might consider moving over. That was when everything changed. Ebbie sent us a link to a job vacancy and they started talking about how easy it was to get a job in Melbourne and about the minimum wage in Melbourne which they actually keep to, unlike Adelaide.

To cut the long story short, I had my fears on moving to Melbourne: higher costs of living, higher rent, costs of transporting our goods over, etc. But then Joey mentioned something, "What if I can assure you that I can help you guys to earn that extra $140 in housing rent a week which you are so concerned about?" So we agreed to come over. We started calculating the fees of transporting our goods over and after calling a few companies, Ebbie, Joey and Elisha came to the conclusion that it would be a minimum of $1300 to hire a truck.

Comments

Popular Posts